Tuesday 2 November 2010

Day 60 - Respect

So the second of today's blogs, it would have gone up sooner but I've been at a church meeting discussing vision. Interesting stuff indeed. What else has happened since the last blog? It rained a lot... Oh and I'm reading lots of the new Rick Riordan book. I might start up a new blog reviewing books. Any interest?

Today’s readings

Leviticus 5:14-7:10
Mark 10:32-52
Proverbs 6:12-19


So there's more dry stuff but I think there's one thing that's hit me while reading this. It's very easy to read these and dismiss them because of Jesus making the sacrifice for us but remember what we said about Leviticus; it's a book teaching us how to get closer to God. I think what today's reading is trying to tell me is that spending time with God is obviously the most desirable thing we can do but that it shouldn't be taken for granted and deserves a certain amount of reverence. We don't have to follow the rules specifically set out here as they apply to a different people who hadn't received Jesus yet and were getting the chance to do it themselves. But I do think that we need to remember that talking and listening to God isn't always something we should do informally. There's a definite value in taking the time to give God the respect and reverence He deserves by preparing our hearts and minds before praying or reading the Bible. I know I don't do that enough and it's something I'm going to consciously do this week as I try to keep up. It's vital that we feel comfortable praying with God but remember that He isn't someone we can take for granted or come to when we feel like it.

Into the New Testament we catapult and I love that first verse. It just seems to fit tonight's meeting so well. Jesus was followed by His disciples who were puzzled and not just a little afraid. That they were DIRECTLY following Him and feeling that makes me a whole lot happier when we get nervous and unsure as to trying to discern God's vision on a big scale. We also read about James and John asking for special treatment and Jesus' words again remind me of tonight. It's important not to want to be in charge or have influence and power but to serve first and foremost. Jesus at times was the guy who spoke and people listened but His whole life was one big service to humanity and the people immediately around Him also. And I chuffing love the last miracle. It's my favourite and not just because of Day Camp! Here we have what appears to be a standard (ha!) miracle where Bartimaeus' faith cures him. But there're two things I love here. Jesus hears Him and yet Bartimaeus has to shout and shout despite people trying to stop him. I think sometimes we need to remember that God wants us to not just expect Him to answer but that He wants us to grow through shouting and shouting. Because what are the results? Not only is Bartimaeus cured but he immediately follows Jesus. When we pray to God we should be persistent but also we need to remember who we're praying to and rely on His promise of love but respect His ultimate knowledge, wisdom and timing.

Finally Proverbs gives us a little bit of advice as to how we should communicate which I think can also be tied into our prayer life. We can't be crossing our fingers and holding things back from God. We can't be telling Him half the story or lying about what we did or really want. God knows us inside out and we need to be respectful of that. Sometimes it's tempting to pray around others for things that you ought to be praying for but God knows what you need to be praying for and what you want to be praying for. Don't be fooling yourself because you won't be fooling God.

And that's your lot for today. We'll bash out another two tomorrow plus a potential film review too you lucky people! This morning's song is here and I had a lot of choices from Leona to Elton to Blue to... Shane Richie?! But I went for that one. You'll have to click to find out! Questions, criticisms and comments welcome as always,

Jon
www.facebook.com/british.hedgehog

No comments:

Post a Comment