Wednesday 20 October 2010

Day 50 - Here With Me

We've reached our half century! One arm raised and I'm accepting your applause with relish. Oh and I also got a job today so that's pretty cool. God provides see? Onto business then,

Today's readings


Exodus 25:1-26:37
Mark 4:30-5:20
Psalm 23:1-6


 So God likes the bling clearly. What're these two chapters about? I mean apart from an INCREDIBLY detailed account of how God wanted to be with His people. Well maybe that's the answer. God wanted His people to have Him there and it be something that they could see but also revere. If God had said, just get any old crate and put those tablets in and keep it in a tent, then the people wouldn't have seen it as God's presence. And they NEEDED God to be present with them because that was all they had. Now the other thing I think is important here is the details. There are so many and I think that anytime God gets into detail it's because He wants to focus us on Him. I'd say that's not just the Bible. God spoke to me over the summer, encouraging me to seek His will in my life with what I was doing. But things like this blog and Connect are the details He gives me to focus on and get closer to Him. Work sucks, this is true. But God's work has all sorts of benefits and if we're called then we're called to do it right and to the right standard

Into the New Testament we bustle and Jesus does His standard teaching when recounted by Mark. Short, to the point and avoiding repeat examples. I especially like verse 33 where Jesus presents His message so that it can be understood by the right people at the right time. That's something for us to think about if we want to talk about Jesus. Don't be afraid to talk to people on their level about their interests.

Then we get two miracles that show a lot about Jesus. I like how the disciples are much more terrified in Mark's version. It seems likely that they'd go absolutely mad with fear and I can even understand the accusing Jesus of forgetting them. But Jesus doesn't get offended or in a strop. He makes things happen. We've got to be careful when we're doing God's work that we don't end up stopping because our feelings our pride have been hurt. And then Jesus goes and cures Legion. What I like most about this is the end. After Jesus has been chased away by a mob, not unlike the bunch of demons infesting the guy, He doesn't take Legion along with Him but sends him out to spread the news about Jesus. I think this is exciting because sometimes Jesus will work in us and do great things for us but we shouldn't dwell on it but use that experience to fuel our enthusiasm for Him and then give that love we've received out to others.

Finally we're onto one of the most famous Psalms in the Bible. It's possibly quite familiar to you but it still has a real beauty and truth about it. God looks out for us all the time, trying to find us and rescue us. What I find most interesting is the last verse in the Message translation. God's love and beauty chases after us every day of our lives. I like that because it doesn't say we're always in His love but that God is chasing us waiting for us to let Him catch us up. So it might seem like God isn't there but sometimes He just wants us to slow down and find Him again.

So I think today's readings tell us about how God is there waiting for us and wants to be alongside us when we need Him most. He will bless us and provide for us if we slow down or focus on Him but then He expects us to go and work for Him rather than resting on our blessings.

And that's your lot for today. Yesterday's song is here. It's an experience... Questions, criticisms and comments welcome as always,

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment